Thursday, April 12, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts


I never had brussel sprouts growing up but based on comments from those around me, I figured I wasn't missing much. The one or two times I had tried them, they were a soggy mushy mess that only reinforced the bad rap this little vegetable seems to get. Then my sister-in-law made some for us that were roasted. Not only did they smell great, they tasted great. My boys gobbled them up and really enjoyed them. I was thrilled when I got two bags of them in my bountiful basket this week. I found this recipe on pinterest from the Cooking Photographer.

Why should you eat brussel sprouts you ask? Not only to teach your children to try (and like) different foods, but also because (among other things), they protect you against cancer, and with all the cancer causing agents in our environment we need a little something to fight back with!

2 lb Brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved (remove any yellow leaves)
4-5 cloves garlic, minced fine (I use a garlic press and squeeze right over the sprouts)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat to 425 degrees.
On a roasting pan or 9x13 inch baking dish, toss together Brussels sprouts, garlic, water, oil, salt and pepper and spread out in a single layer.
Bake for 40-50 minutes until caramelized and tender. Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover