Saturday, July 31, 2010

Almond Crusted Halibut Symphony

I've been trying to learn to like fish or at least be able to tolerate it. I tried making fish tacos with tilapia and just couldn't bring myself to eat more than a bite or two. Anthony was feeling like fish tonight so I suggested he try this recipe that I'd been meaning to make for quite a while now but couldn't bring myself to do it in case it turned out like my fish taco diaster. I was pleasantly surprised- the halibut had hardly any fish flavor. The dish was amazing- it tasted fabulous, looked fabulous and was an absolutely perfect dinner alongside garlic mashed potatoes and steamed green beans. It seems complex at first, but it was simple enough my husband was able to make it with hardly any help from myself. So if you're like me and don't eat fish, try this- it really has no fishy flavor!

Almond Crusted Halibut Symphony

Ingredients:

3 filets halibut
1 tablespoon butter

Buerre Blanc Sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 cube butter cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
2 tablespoons minced shallots (I used chopped fresh chives)1teaspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Topping
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten

Heat 1 tablespoon butter in frying pan. Over medium heat, saute halibut filets for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on one side. Flip over, cover with lid and turn off heat. Let halibut continue cooking in hot pan until golden brown on the other side.

Make buerre blanc: in small saucepan over medium heat combine water, vinegar, shallots (or fresh chopped chives), thyme and bay leaf. Boil until liquid has evaporated, remove bay leaf. Stir in cream and boil until liquid is reduced by half. Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn off heat but let sauce remain on stove to keep warm.

Topping: In a small bowl melt butter and stir in bread crumbs and almonds. In another small bowl beat egg.

Transfer halibut to a cookie sheet and turn oven to broil. Brush egg on top of filets and top with bread crumb topping. Broil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown- watch carefully because it will cook quickly. Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover