Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lentil Tacos (they really are good!)

I know what you are thinking- the first time I saw this recipe I thought- Lentil Tacos? That sounds so gross. I remember my mother making us lentils once and we all gagged but I have since made lentil soup and I really like it(sorry mom, I'm sure you tried). Anyway...Anthony needs really high protein meals when he does his 1000 calorie workouts; and I've been thinking about foods we can eat that abide more by the word of wisdom, SO...I figured I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised...

Apparently you can add chili powder and cumin to anything and make it taste great! I am not even tempted by beef tacos any longer- this is my new taco substitute that I use in everything Mexican (I even used them for baked beans and they were so yummy).

I also have a bunch of pearl barley and have found some yummy looking recipes for that so you'll probably be seeing a lot of *interesting* recipes around here. But rest assured if it tastes nasty I won't be posting it. I refuse to eat something healthy if it tastes like crap (we die either way, right?) plus I have young kids who have to eat my food (and franky I love meat- just not every day)... If you have any healthy meatless dishes please share! And stay tuned for lots of experimental barley recipes...

FYI: Lentils are much quicker cooking than other dried beans and they have tons of protein and fiber. For more info click here.

Lentil Tacos

1 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa

Serve with:
taco shells, tortillas or chips
shredded lettuce
chopped fresh tomato
shredded Cheddar cheese
avocado
sour cream

Directions
1.In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly.

2.Stir in salsa. Spoon about 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell/tortilla. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado and sour cream.

*recipe adapted from allrecipes.com Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover